Followers

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Down to the Brass Tacks...

*disclaimer...there will be no capital letters involved in today's blog. my left shift key is broken and i don't like using the right shift key. so in my blog, i choose to use no capitals for the day. for all of you grammatical nazis, come and get me.

today, i am on a war path, and i feel certain that i will stay on it for a while to come.

here's the deal. i do not know exactly what i am yet. however, i do know that i am not a retailer. i also know that i am not free labor. i know that i am a young college graduate trying to make a living. i know that i live with my parents and i don't want to do that forever. therefore, i want to make it known publicly that i am now charging for my services. i am not cheap or free. if you want my talents and my time, i will be paid for it. i do not care if you are a non-profit organization. i do not care if you are my daddy's best friend. i require payment. i will consider bartering if the offer is good enough. but payment nonetheless.

i have done this to myself. i have no idea how much i am worth and i have no idea how to say no to people or to believe in myself and my work enough to charge what i deserve. but last night and this morning...there have been a few 'come to Jesus' meetings and quite frankly, i'm finished allowing people to take advantage of me. i am taking a lesson from the best business man i know. from now on, i will be brutal. i am growing a tough skin. i may hurt some feelings but i'm indifferent about that at this point. it is unfair to myself to continue on the path that i have been on. i'm exhausted and worn with nothing to show for it.

today's pearl of wisdom;
if you let them run over you and run you down, they will.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!!!!!! These are some awesome thoughts and the truth is, you DO deserve it. You are wildly talented and THAT my dear, is your commodity. Once you start saying yes, it is harder to start saying no, but to ever be taken seriously, you have to! Congratulations and I can't wait til I can come see your studio.

    ReplyDelete